july 2018 issue
On sale now
• Targa Time. Can the Porsche 911 Targa, Triumph TR4 Surrey Top, Ferrari 348ts, Toyota MR2 T-bar and TVR Tuscan successfully combine roofless rawness and coupé civility? And why now’s the time to buy them
• Epic Restoration. How do you go about restoring a Ferrari 288 GTO rescued from a desert? Learn the resourceful secrets of Eighties supercar resurrection
• The Collector. Meet the Wilsons, the Australian family who bought some Minis, then a few more, and never really stopped
• Life Cycle. The fast-paced life of the Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Coupé HF once rallied by Sandro Munari then abandoned by the works team on an African river bed
• Indoor Protection. Keep rust at bay with our handy guide
• The List. A professional chauffeur puts the refinements of a Jaguar MkIX to the test
• Sedanic Majesties. We drive a pair of Mercedes-Benz V126s first owned by Rolling Stone and Rhythm King Bill Wyman. Will you be their next owner?
• The Fast Samurai. Flat-out in a Toyota Corolla SR1600 that took on Monte Carlo
• The Other Dino. Assessing the Maranello-bred credentials of the Fiat Dino Spider that Sergio Pininfarina kept for himself
• Quentin Willson decodes a rare and unusual Ford Mustang and spots an unlikely emerging Aston Martin bargain
• Chasing Cars. Russ Smith heralds the buoyancy of the affordable end of the market, and tracks the sudden slump in Ferrari values. Plus, is it finally time to buy a big Volvo?
• MoT exemption. Unpicking what it means for your classic
• John Surtees’ 507 One multiple World Champion owner from new – Surtees’ own modified BMW comes to market
• Buying Guide. Are you brave enough to take advantage of a bargain-priced Maserati Quattroporte V? Read our guide and find out
• Ads on Test. A Jaguar XJC, Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am, Ferrari 308 GTBi and Porsche tractor pass under our buying microscope – which one’s your ideal buy?
• Advertise your classic for free
• Quentin Willson on the Mercedes SL that tops a new wave of great-value classics
• Gordon Murray on the unique appeal of a tiny, high-revving Honda
• John Fitzpatrick on behind-the-scenes motor-show shenanigans with Porsche
The month in cars
• Jim Clark 50th Anniversary Poignancy and ceremony in Duns as Lotuses gather
• Flying Scotsman. An incredible Alta defies all odds on Britain’s toughest vintage test
• Brabham returns David Brabham is our guide as his new supercar is joined by Formula One legends at the Australian High Commission in London
• The Classic Cars Free Events Guide. Coffee-fuelled morning gatherings, pub meets, surprisingly large classic car shows and even a major motor sport festival are among the great events you don’t have to pay to get into. Which ones will you go to?
• Events. Planner A scorching summer of classic fun starts here...
• Barn Finds. A special-bodied Jaguar XK140 headlines a month of Fifties finds
• Letters. The importance of caveat emptor, and who really was an Interserie champion?
• Books & Models. A landmark work on Reid Railton, and a great-value Alpine-Renault
• Our Cars. A Drive-It Day special: Russ takes his Alfa Spider to Bicester, Sam takes his Peugeot 406 SRi to Ryton, Phil takes his toolbox to his garage for a fix it day assault on the Jaguar E-type...
• Why I Love... dirty tricks at Le Mans, by ex-BMC Competitions Manager Peter Browning